Notice of Registration

Click here to CHAT on WhatsApp

Only those who have registered are entitled to CHAT with or CONSULT Akintunde Esan (the Legal Adviser Online) for further legal illumination or legal advice.


TO REGISTER: Pay your quarterly registration fee of 10,000 NGN (Individual) or 20,000 NGN (Corporate) to: BANK: Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB), NGN ACCOUNT NO.: 0211166053, ACCOUNT NAME: ASE OLODUMARE CHAMBERS.


REGISTRATION OUTSIDE NIGERIA: USD ACCOUNT NO.: 0211176029, ACCOUNT NAME: ASE OLODUMARE CHAMBERS, SORT CODE: 058152340 SWIFT CODE: GTBINGLA, BANK: Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB)


Payment portal to be available soon.

Sunday 10 September 2023

GROUNDS FOR GRANTING DIVORCE IN COURT IN NIGERIA

You can also click the links below to view:

GROUNDS FOR GRANTING DIVORCE 
IN COURT IN NIGERIA 


              A.  Introduction 

Divorce is the legal dissolution of a marriage and there are different perspectives to the grounds for dissolving a marriage such as the religious, cultural, jurisprudential, sociological, statutory, trendy, mystical and pragmatic perspectives. Take for instance in the Christian faith, adultery is the only recognised ground for divorce.

This edition of Akintunde Esan's legal illumination is focusing on the legal grounds for getting a divorce in Nigeria as provided in the Matrimonial Causes Act, which is the Law regulating the grounds for the filing and processing of a divorce in Nigeria. 

B. Grounds for Divorce of a Customary Marriage

In Nigeria, couples have the choice of having a customary marriage or a statutory marriage. A customary marriage is a marriage contracted under the native law and custom of an ethnic community in Nigeria. A statutory marriage is a marriage contracted under the Marriage Act.  

There are no codified grounds for divorce under native laws in Nigeria, thus, a customary or traditional marriage can be divorced or dissolved on arbitrary grounds. 

The only authority in Nigeria that has the jurisdiction (power) to grant a divorce of a statutory marriage is the High Court, while the Customary Court has the jurisdiction to grant the divorce of a traditional  or customary marriage.

C. The Eight (8) Grounds for the Dissolution of a Statutory Marriage in Nigeria


By virtue of Section 15(1) of Matrimonial Causes Act, the High Court has the jurisdiction to make an order dissolving a statutory marriage only on the general ground that, the marriage has broken down irretrievably.

However, the High Court in coming to the conclusion whether a marriage has broken irretrievably is required to take into consideration the occurrence of one or more of the specific eight (8) grounds set out in sub-section (a) to (h) of Section 15 (2) of the Act. If the spouse seeking the divorce can prove the occurrence of one or more of these grounds, the High Court will have no choice than to grant the prayer for divorce or dissolution of his or her statutory marriage, as this implies that, the marriage has broken down irretrievably in law.  
 

In divorce case between LT. Col. Shehu Ibrahim (Rtd) v. Mercy Ibrahim (2006) LPELR-7670(CA) Ariwoola, J.C.A at P. 24, paras. C-G, illuminated on the issue of ground and grounds for divorce as follows: 
"The learned counsel contended that there is only one ground for the dissolution of marriage in our law. This with respect may not be totally correct, to say the least, as there are several grounds which the Matrimonial Causes Act refer to as "facts". (See; Sections 15(2) and 16(1), Matrimonial Causes Act.  
However, in Nigeria, a Court cannot dissolve a marriage or declare a marriage to have broken down unless one of the facts listed in Section 15(2) is established by the petitioner, even though it appears the marriage has broken down irretrievably." 
An occurrence of any of the following eight grounds or situations or facts in the eyes of the Matrimonial Causes Act is a conclusive proof that, a marriage has broken down irretrievably or generally and therefore ripe for divorce or dissolution:

Ground 1: Denial of Sexual Intercourse 


This is where a spouse has willfully and persistently refused to have sexual intercourse with an aggrieved spouse. Section 15(2)(a). 

Ground 2: Adultery and Intolerable Behaviours

This where a spouse has committed adultery and the offended spouse find it intolerable to live with the offending spouse. Section 15(2)(b). 

Ground 3: Unreasonable Behaviours


This where a spouse behaves in such a way that the aggrieved spouse cannot reasonably be expected to live with such a  spouse. Section 15(2)(c).

Section 16(1) set out the behaviors that can be said to be the ones that, a person cannot be reasonably expected to live with to include: 

a) Commission of sexual offences such as: committed rape, sodomy, or bestiality. 


b) Habitual drunkenness or drug addiction: for a period of not less than two years. 


c) Frequent convictions and imprisonment for crime. 


d) Habitually leaving a spouse without reasonable means of Support. 


e) Attempt to murder and assault spouse. 


f) Habitual and willful failure to provide court ordered or agreed support for two years. 


g) Insanity and unsoundness of mind 


Ground 4: Abandoning of Spouse


Where a spouse has abandoned or deserted the other spouse for a continuous period of at least one year . 


a) The types of desertion: 


i. Simple Desertion: the guilty spouse abandons the matrimonial home. 


ii. Constructive Desertion: The spouse who is in desertion is the spouse who by his or her conduct expels the other spouse and remains at home. 


b) The elements of desertion: 


i. Physical separation or defacto separation: This implies bringing co-habitation to an end by severing marital obligations; or 


ii. Intention to remain permanently separate or animus deserendi 


iii. Absence of the spouse’s consent. 


iv. Absence of any justification: There will be no desertion if the spouse who has withdrawn from cohabitation has a good reason for doing so. 


Ground 5: Living Apart for Two (2) Years


Where the parties to a marriage have lived apart for a continuous period of at least two years and one of the parties does not object to the marriage being dissolved. 

Ground 6: Living Apart for Three (3) Years


However, where the parties to a marriage have lived apart for a continuous period of at least three years, the consent of the other party is not required before such a marriage can be dissolved. Section 15(2)(e) and (f). 


References to the parties to a marriage living with each other shall be construed as references to their living with each other in the same household. 


Ground 7: Disobedience to Order of Restitution of Conjugal Rights 


Where a spouse for a period of not less than one year, failed to comply with a court order of restitution of conjugal rights. 


Ground 8: Spouse is missing for Seven (7) Years


Where a spouse is missing for such a long time or seven year in such circumstances as to provide reasonable ground for presume he or she is dead or has no reason to believe that the spouse is alive. 

If the spouse seeking for divorce can prove the occurrence of one or more of these eight grounds mentioned above, the High Court will have no choice than to grant the prayer for divorce or dissolution of his or her statutory marriage, as this implies that, the marriage has broken down irretrievably in law. 

D.  Conclusion


No reasonable man or woman will or would want to divorce his or her spouse, but human nature makes frictions inevitable and some frictions may degenerate or metamorphose into irreconcilable differences that make divorce not just inevitable but reasonable.

There are times when divorce is not a reasonable option considering your children, what you have mutually invested in the marriage and the signs that reconciliation is possible. However, when your marriage becomes injurious or poisonous to your children/child, health, life and destiny and it appears divorce is the only reasonable option.

There has been an increase in the reported cases of spouses killing each other in the news these days in Nigeria. These are times when divorce is becoming a reasonable option, considering the fact that “a living dog is better than a dead lion”.

Lawyers are undertakers of dead marriages, not ruling out the fact that, some dead marriages do resurrect like the dead body of Lazarus or the prophetic dry bones putting on flesh and rising again. However, marital resurrection is a miracle that happens by choice and not by chance.

If you are in a dilemma on divorce think about the finding of a study at the University of Harvard, which observed that, all the members of family suffering from a high level of conflict, for example where there is persistent abuse or alcoholism, benefit from divorce. However, those marriages with low level of conflict gain more by staying together, and the harm to the children is less than that caused by divorce.

CALL or CHAT with me if you need someone to confide in on your dilemma.

You can also CALL or CHAT with me for further legal illumination on resolving or seeking for a divorce.

Written by Akintunde Esan, Managing Partner/Principal Consultant @ Ase Olodumare Chambers Law Firm, Lagos Nigeria.

GROUNDS FOR GRANTING DIVORCE IN NIGERIA is a legal illumination of AKINTUNDE ESAN known as The LEGAL ADVISER ONLINE. Akintunde Esan is the Managing Partner & Principal Consultant @ ASE OLODUMARE CHAMBERS (Legal Practitioners/Consultants & Chartered Mediators)


You also advised to try Ase Olodumare Chambers Divorce Mediation if:
  • you are seeking for an amicable and peaceful separation or divorce.
  • you are contemplating filing for divorce or separation in Court.
  • you are having issues on child custody. 
  • you are not formally married but are seeking for amicable and peaceful severance of their marital relationships.

55 comments:

  1. The quality of your articles and contents is great.Michael H. White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your content is nothing short of brilliant in many ways. I think this is engaging and eye-opening material. Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers.離婚申請

      Delete
  2. Please how can I contact you? I need legal counsel and it's important

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sir,

    This is excellent knowledge. My case is this; My wife doesn't listen to me as a husband. She does what she likes hence my opinion does not count. For example, due to current economic situation in Nigeria, my business suffered setback. I made necessary arrangements that we relocate to another country. Hence i traveled first. Now, my wife has turned down plans of joining me and said she prefers staying in Nigeria. Secondly, i coughed out 6 million to establish a restaurant for us. My wife got jealous that i may sleep with the female workers, this made me to hand over the business to her, All my advice to her on how to run the business where not applied and the business closed. My wife is always pushing me to be abusive. Instead of insults and unnecessary emotional trauma i get from her, i consider divorce. I need divorce urgently. We have two kids, but it is better divorce than physical combats which may result to injury or death.
    Contact me sir. My email is obianwufestus@yahoo.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice article, i love it!
    But if anyone one in this comment-pane has been motivated by the article to consider divorce, he or she should think twice or please call the writer and confide with him as he said, you may have a way out of divorce thought after a few words of advise.
    Remember: "For I hate divorce," says the LORD, the God of Israel, "and him who covers his garment with wrong," says the LORD of hosts. "So take heed to your spirit, that you do not deal treacherously." Malachi 2:16 NAS.
    Stay blessed as you embrace the Word of God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pls I need urgent advice, I've been married to this man for Three years, it has been hell on earth, from one abuse to the other, he insults me outside, ever ready to hit me no matter where we are, I don't want to live with him again, I want divorce urgently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this. it will help in my divorce case.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the illumination

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mr Akintunde, having carefully read your information... I consider divorce as an option. I have been married to a woman for 3 years. We started well,but changed immediately she had a child. Each time I asked her for sex... She De is me on the ground that she has gotten what she wanted. She usually advises me to practise masturbation. We have gotten to a state at which she determines when to have it or and not. I cannot even control her. We have been living as housemates. This has been a great burden on me. Please what can you say to this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pls sir. I will like to discuss with you privately on whatsapp. My problem eating deep into my health and am suffocating.

      Delete
  9. Your articles are insightful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good day sir, your article is wonderful and I commend you greatly. Please I am having some marital problem which might lead to a divorce, but I need to consult with you first.. Kindly grant me the privilege.. I can't find your phone number on this post can you kindly send it to me or contact me.. Kuchikendra@gmail.com or whatsapp on 08145502507

    ReplyDelete
  11. i sent my wife to US to have our baby. She came back and later went to US despite my disapproval since November 2015. currently she abandoned our 16months old baby with her mum in ibadan. we had a family meeting and all plea to return to PH fell on her deaf ears. She's currently pursuing a medical career in us. I want to have another baby and i have no business in travelling to US rather i will want to file for divorce and move on. engfolly@yahoo.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to you Akintunde Esan,please i need to urgently speak with you.This is my whatsapp number +2347035944338

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pleaae can you reach me on my eemail kemikomolafe53@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can i have your whatsapp contact or email.mine is slizzybanky@gmail.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those asking for my contacts,they are here on my Blog. Click the Contact tab or switch to web version if you are on mobile version of the Blog

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sir with due respect I need an advise. My husband just got married last week Saturday in another town without me being divorced. He abandoned me and his daughter in another town. Please sir what can I do sir. Mrs Adetolu

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sir please I need ur advice I've been separated from my husband for 5years but I want it to be official how do I go about it especially since he's already remarried

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pls Sir I need your advice I've been separated from my husband for five years now but I want it to be official especially since he has remarried how do I go about it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good morning, I need your advice on getting a divorce, I have been separated from my wife for close to 2 years now and her whereabouts is also not confirmed. My lawyer contacted and she is demanding life support from me and wanted for herself 50% of all the assets I have for now claiming I got all while we were together. Am in love with another lady and we are very serious but these condition is hindering the progress of my new relationship and am the cross road as all effort to broker peace on the settlement proved abortive. The conditions which my new partner to be is not comfortable with. Please advice on the way forward.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very insightful

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great works I must say. I am a relationship coach/therapist, I was actually doing a research on the Nigerian laws on abuse of wife/husband when I stumbled into your beautiful article.
    My advice to those who are seeking divorce: legal counsel isn't the first step, please seek the Counsel of a professional couple therapist first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how do we get your contact or any other professional couple therapist?

      Delete
  22. http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/05/court-dissolves-4-yr-old-marriage-hiv-status/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for the info. My wife packed out of the house with our marriage certificate more than a year ago, how can a go about if I want to file a divorce, my email is sumtingreat@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. My wife packed out about a year ago tired of the marriage but she left pregnant with our second child and I do not intend to stay married with her for any reason. How do I go about it. bluvd4me@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. My daughter had a contract marriage to a Greek man in the U.K. over 6 years ago and have been separated over 5 years now. How does she begin the divorce process in Nigeria?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good evening learned one. My marriage is young barely a year. I got married in Mar and the next time i saw my husband was May and that has been it since then. No feeding allowance nor sex since May his excuse has always been work. He's in ondo state while am in Abuja. He's waiting for me to come down again as I made the last visit. He only came to my place in abuja once. Our communication is so poor we cant do 2 mins call in a call. No bond no connection.I need divorce please advise

    ReplyDelete
  27. I need your contact please

    ReplyDelete
  28. Good evening learned one. My marriage is young barely a year. I got married in Mar and the next time i saw my husband was May and that has been it since then. No feeding allowance nor sex since May his excuse has always been work. He's in ondo state while am in Abuja. He's waiting for me to come down again as I made the last visit. He only came to my place in abuja once. Our communication is so poor we cant do 2 mins call in a call. No bond no connection.I need divorce please advise

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chat with me on WhatsApp @ 08073828487. However, my contacts are all over my Blog

    ReplyDelete
  30. Good work. I was hoping to find good information on the topic of divorce and the grounds that such petitions are granted. Next is prenuptial agreements. I'll look around to see if you wrote anything on it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Good morning, I have been married for 6 years with 2 children. And right now I can't continue to go through the emotional abuse from my husbands mother due to the fact that we live in her house, she controls all that we do. And over the years it has affected my relationship with him. I have tried as much as possible to cope with it but it's not getting any better. Things would have been better if my husband wasn't controlled by his mother. So have made a decision to leave so I can be free of this torture. Besides my mother in law as said times without number her son would re-marry.we did a statutory marriage. How do I go about a seperation/divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My wife has left our matrimonal home and gone to live with her parents with our child since Nov 2017. She says she has reasons...i will need to discuss with u privately as i dont want to discuss it in public. I need advice as the situiation gets more confusing by the day.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am glad to announce the reconciliation of the Husband and Wife in the Divorce Suit No. ID/2451HD/2016 before Honourable Justice Kasali,Lagos State High Court Nigeria.The Divorce Petition was filed by Akintunde Esan (me) of Ase Olodumare Chambers Law Firm.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Pls I need to talk to u asap

    ReplyDelete
  35. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  36. hello Please how can I contact you? I need legal counsel and it's important

    ReplyDelete
  37. I need to talk to you sir.He got me into marrying him through diabolic means.But now it has faded away from my eyes. He confess to it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am heartily impressed by your blog and learned more from your article. Thank you so much for sharing with us reasons for divorce.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This article provides a comprehensive overview of the topic and addresses important issues and challenges. I appreciate the thoroughness of your research and the quality of your writing. Thank you for sharing your work with us.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I was impressed by the level of detail and the quality of the information presented in this article. It provides a comprehensive topic overview and addresses the key issues and challenges. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise about <a href="https://chineselawyervancouver.ca/vancouver/divorce-law/>divorce law services</a>.

    ReplyDelete

Chat with me on WhatsApp @ +234 08073828487

Popular posts